Sunday, March 21, 2010

Don Franklin Hansen


I have put off writing this post for 2 months now, simply because I knew how difficult it would be for me to write. When I married Casey, I was fortunate to become the granddaughter of Don & LaRayne Hansen. Both have been an extremely important part of my life, and we were sad to have to say goodbye to grandpa on January 8, 2010. Grandma and Grandpa were the perfect example of how to love your spouse. They are truly soulmates and the PERFECT couple. :) Grandpa doted on grandma like I've never seen anyone dote on their wife. Grandpa was friendly and outgoing and had such a good memory (with

grandma's help too). He never forgot anyone he met, and was friends with everyone! (It was no surprise to see the line of people who came to pay their respects at his funeral, it stretched clear down the sidewalk and around the building!) He is Casey's best friend, and we knew saying goodbye to this jolly old man would be extremely difficult. One year ago he suffered from cardiac arrest and was gone for 7 minutes and we thought we lost him without being able to say goodbye. We ended up being able to enjoy one more year with him, and the year was full of joy and memories that I will never forget. He helped Ryllie pull a tooth, he let Maddux take naps on
lap, and let the girls do his hair in funky mohawks. He put clip on earrings on with Cy, and played the harmonica with him, and would snuggle with Hadlie. I got to hear him call me dear heart for one more year, and listen to him sing his silly songs, and tell some funny (and a little crude) jokes. :) He got to talk sports with Casey, and have some wonderful heart to hearts. During his last few days with us, he became unable to speak and open his eyes. As we were visiting him we knew we needed to say goodbye. I will never forget after Casey gave him a blessing, grandpa with all his energy wrapping his arm around Casey and telling him he loved him,
and he told us all that he loved us. I have never had an experience like this in my life where I was able to to say goodbye to someone before they passed on. I am forever grateful for that opportunity and for the Spirit. I am so grateful for the past 10 years of my life with grandpa. He is the BEST!
Pictures included are of grandpas siblings, grandma and their 3 sons, the grandkids, and the great grandkids.






1 comment:

Kaysha Alesa said...

Such a sweet post. Sorry for your loss. He seems so amazing. Love you Chol.