Thursday, November 20, 2008

Date Night Disaster

This story is kinda long, so if you get bored, skip this post! :) Last Friday my friend Breanne was coming home from her mission and we were invited to welcome her home at 9:30pm, so before we went over we decided we wanted to try to get to the temple. Cuckoo said she'd watch the kids and Casey and I drove to the Provo Temple. When we got there we could not find a parking spot, not ONE! Even down in the overflow parking there weren't any, so we had to circle around for about 15 minutes to wait for someone to leave. We finally get in there and are stopped at the front desk because on their computer was a note that said "questions about recommend" on mine. So we waited about 30 more minutes for the temple recorder to figure out the problem. Apparently I've been going to the temple under a Melanie Hansen's name. My membership number and barcode didn't match, so one of the bishopric accidentally put someone elses number on my recommend. Needless to say, I am going to have to go back and get a new recommend. So, we finally get in the temple and there is a 90 minute wait for a session, and 50 minute wait for sealings! I have never seen this before! We waited about an hour for sealings and they were still not ready, and we were running out of time, so we had to leave. :( But, it is always nice to be there, even if we weren't able to do any work, it is always nice to feel the Spirit. We had about 30 minutes so we stopped for an icecream cone at BYU creamery. As we are driving home I realize I left my purse! (I am a space case, but I don't frequently leave my purses places!) We had to turn around and go back and as we are leaving we realize we are now stuck in traffic due to the BYU basketball game letting out. At this point I think Casey is going to kill me. He is staring ahead, silent, I'm frustrated at myself and waiting for him to be frustrated as well. After a few minutes, he reaches over and touches my shoulder and smiles. PHEW! I guess this was one of those moments Elder Wirthlin was talking about. The night could have been ruined if we would have reacted in a negative way, but now it's just a night we can look at and laugh. Fortunately Breanne was running late too, and we made it there in time to welcome her home, and had a great evening visiting with her and the Folkman family. And watching Casey and the kids play Rock Band was hysterical!

3 comments:

Kenn and Natalie said...

Great story. That is crazy how long you had to wait at the temple, I have never heard of such a wait either! Maybe they'll have to build another one in Provo soon! Excited to see you soon!

sean said...

I think that is awesome having enough people there to create a 90 min wait. :)

good job!

Mommy said...

I heard the story first hand so I skipped the post. lol Really, I read it just with speed reading skills. I am so glad you were able to laugh about it so quickly. Mitsy had one of those kind of days yesterday. Me, I never have those days. My life is perfect. I have laughs enough listening to my kids very bad days. hehe