Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Deck from Heck

So if you haven't heard our deck story here is the shortened version. In March we got some bids to have a deck built. Casey & I hired this guy whose bid was very detailed, and who seemed very professional. He required 50% down and came to our home to start the project. He basically jack hammered our top step, took the 50% down and half our lumber and never came back. We totally got $@*^&. So Casey advertises on good old KSL.com that we were looking for someone to come and help finish the deck. We already had the materials and this really nice kid who said he had framing and deck building experience was hired to help Casey finish the deck. When that deck was finished 3 months later it was a Monet. Looked good from far away, but up close it was a mess! There were so many carpentry errors and nothing was square. Casey (who is a bit of a perfectionist) couldn't stand looking at it, and I kept saying, "well maybe if we put some patio furniture on it it won't be so bad. Yaddy Yaddy Yada we tore it down and started with a new deck company called Definitive Construction and they did a heck of a job and were professional, fast, and had great ideas. So, here is the end results.






Pretty sweet!I went out to start cleaning out the hot tub and the kids all came out..... barefoot! There was still nails and wood that hadn't been removed and so I said, "you all need to go in a put some shoes on right now!" (in the stern mom voice). As Cy starts coming in, he screams and says, "Ow, my foot!" I look over to see blood streaming and I rush him in to see that he had stepped on a rusty nail and it had gone all the way through his foot. So I took him to the instacare to make sure he had received the shots he needed, and he had thank goodness, so now he just has a super sore foot. Poor kid, he kept saying, "I sorry mom, i need shoes on, i sorry mom." It was so sweet, i felt so bad for him. Here is the pictures.

15 comments:

Melanie said...

How sad! Poor Cy! It reminds of when Rob stepped on a nail while we were building shelves. He was holding a cordless drill - it went through the wall.
Your deck is beautiful though!

Melanie said...

Wow! Look at your blogroll! I just found half the family! I hope they don't care if I start reading their blogs too! :)

Dad said...

My poor Cy! Tell 'im Grandpa sends him lots of hugs. Beautiful deck honey.

Kaysha Alesa said...

Oh my *Dryheave*. Poor Cy *puke*. That looks like it really hurt. *Dryheave*. Ouch. Oh my heck the deck from heck is totally speck...tacular!! I am so excited that you put in a hot tub for me!!

sean said...

One more object in his foot and he ties Javin! Great looking deck from heck! well, back to homework, I just know how much you enjoy comments, I hope this is enough.


the cake is a lie.

Mitsy said...

You have no idea how much I want to get in your hot tub right now. My body HURTS! Wahhh, I know. I can't complain to Cy though...poor guy. Looks painful. Give him a kiss from his favorite aunt and he'll be all better. Love you.

Whitaker Family said...

Oh, Cy! I just want to cry! I think you are a pretty brave kid. And smart to learn your lesson about shoes really quick. I love you! Love the deck too, Hol!

Renee said...

The new deck looks great! I need to come and see it up close and personal! Sorry about CY - lets meet at the gas station for a Coke tomorrow since I never see you otherwise!

Katie said...

OUCH! Looks painful!
Hey next time you need construction work done on your house give me a call that is what my hubby does for a living! He is does great work and is a perfectionist like Casey plus he won't rip off your materials when you aren't looking!

Michelle said...

Ouch!!! I can't believe that happened! By the way, your new deck looks amazing!!! I am so jealous!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad it finally got done correctly!

Mommy said...

Javin has empathy for little Ry. Ouch. All my life I have thought how great it would be to have a Hot tub in my backyard. Now I have the great weather but no hot tub... I guess I will come stay at your house next time I get up there. I loovveee the deck and tub combo. I will have to visit till we get our own. I will have one. I will. How big of dimensions is your tub?

Dad said...

Got another title for this piece: The Holl-i-deck.

Maybe the Deck from Heck is better after all.

Mommy said...

Sorry Cy, I really did know it was you that got hurt. Funny that my typo made sense almost. Kisses on your feet. love you.

Joy said...

Wow, your deck is so beautiful. That stinks its been such a pain. Sounds like you guys have had a fun but busy summer just like us. Let us know when you have down time and we will go and do something.

Christie Moak said...

Your deck looks awesome!! How fun it is to have a deck to hang out on.