Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Husbands & Vehicles Saga

It's about time I posted again. So I will start from the beginning of my vehicle saga (which most of my family has already heard about). Because I print my blogs for journaling I want to write about learning experiences as well, so everyone gets to see my flawed side now! :) Casey & I have been talking about trading the Tahoe in the last couple of months because although it is only 2 years old, we have put 45,000 miles on it and it was out of warranty. On Tuesday Casey text me saying "what color of Titan do you want?". I thought, "oh sweet, a Titan must be a type of SUV" so I replied "black". Later that day I went down to meet him at the dealership and sign papers and thats when I found out that a Titan is a truck! Oh no no no, this will not do! I instantly dived into the reasons a truck would not work as our family vehicle. Ryllie would have to sit in the front at all times, no one could sit in the back to help with Hadlie when she is throwing her fits (which is 24/7), I would have to break my sweet carpool set up and load everyone up every day to take Ryllie to school, I would have no where to put groceries in the winter when the back of the truck was filled with snow, and on and on. I was a complete brat, not that my reasons aren't valid with four kids, right? Anyway, Casey assured me that the truck would be fine and that financially we would be stupid not to do this trade since we were very flip flopped in value on the Tahoe and they had offered to unbury us. So this became my new ride.I know, I know, it is SWEET! Who in their right mind would complain about having such a sweet ride? So the saga continues, I am pretty unhappy with the new set up and having to break my carpools, etc... and I've told my neighbor friends (who of course side with me, true friends always do! :) ) and pretty soon it is the neighborhood talk! The women agree with me, and the men are going ga ga over the truck. So although I told myself to be grateful I started to complain about the truck again. Casey at this point becomes frustrated with my attitude and reminds me just how good our family has it, and how blessed we are. This is where the learning experience sets in. I really had to take a good look in the mirror and I honestly was disappointed in myself. There are so many who don't even have vehicles to drive or who are a juggling-one-car family or who have vehicles that are barely mobile or with out the luxuries of air conditioning or a functioning heater. I was very humbled, I mean VERY HUMBLED! I am very fortunate and for me this experience was much needed because I have gotten so accustomed to this standard of living that my gratitude was lacking. I never thought I would ever be like that! On Friday Casey came home around lunch time and told me to get in the car and we drove up to a dealership in Salt Lake and he had found another great deal on a Nissan Armada. He asked me if I liked it and of course I did, but I knew that the only option for him was to trade in his Chrysler 300C with the hemi and his custom low profile wheels and Bentley grill (his baby needless to say). I told him the truck would be fine, and that I was sorry for being ungrateful and he just said he was going to do what he thought was best for our family. So as we were leaving he paused for a minute and looked at his Chrysler and then drove away. I know that it must have been hard, but he did it for me and that meant a lot to me. He is now driving the truck and he really likes it too, and I am driving the Armada.Good bye Chrysler! Good bye Tahoe! And thank you Casey for being such an awesome husband. He joked with grandpa Hansen saying that peace was restored to the Hansen household cause if momma aint happy, nobody's happy! So that ends the saga of husbands and vehicles.

5 comments:

Kaysha Alesa said...

Hollie, you are such a B. LIE. You are one of the most humble, and grateful people I know. You wanted the Tahoe becasue it fit your family needs better, not your own. Be nice to yourself. I am impressed to read how the saga ended.

It is sad to see those that let money change them. I have always been proud to say it never has changed you. :)You da best.

Kudos to Casey. I am impressed. That Chrysler was sweet. I remember when Casey gave me a ride in it. I thought I was not going to live. The Titan looks a lot safer. Oh, and it is sweet.

Adrienne said...

Both your cars are totally nice. I have to laugh because we are fortunate that Travis gets a company car to drive...guess what he chose...a minivan. It's awesome. Our family car (the one that I drive) is a Tahoe which we bought for practical reasons, we have four kids, we ski, we need four wheel drive, etc. etc. and we like it. Well one of Travis's friends asked him why he drives the minivan and I drive the Tahoe and Travis told him "I'm manly enough to drive a minivan and that sometimes I even wear pink."

Joy said...

Hey you deserved this. I LOVE ARMADAS. My sister in law has one and they have got to be the best vehicle. ENJOY!

Mommy said...

I am smiling. After going through many heartbreaking car changes in my life, we are now driving your old minivan and Casey's old caddy. Funny thing is that we love them. Mostly cause they are paid for. You are, as Kake says, being hard on yourself. You are a very unselfish person. Just do me one favor. When you get rid of your Armada, can I have it too?

Mitsy said...

Sorry that I told you not to be so hard on yourself.....you should be harder on yourself. It's not very fair that you get such a sweet ride. I'm just a little jealous. In all actuality though you totally deserve it. You are not ungrateful ever and are the best sister ever! Love you Holl!